A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth – covering the tooth to restore its shape and size, strength, and/or to improve its appearance.
The crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire visible portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line.
A dental crown may be needed in the following situations:
- To protect a weak tooth (for instance, from decay) from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover misshapened or severely discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
Preparing a tooth for a crown usually requires two visits to the dentist — the first step involves examining and preparing the tooth, the second visit involves placement of the permanent crown.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
We’re excited to partner with you for a lifetime of strong, healthy, beautiful smiles. Call 305-662-2599 to schedule your family’s checkups, your personal consultation, or a second-opinion visit with Dr. Ortega. We provide comprehensive cosmetic and neuromuscular dentistry, for patients from Miami, and all around the world in our inviting Coral Gables dental office.